Sunday, February 1, 2015

Song #2: Remember When You Used to be a Rascal?

The Backstory


Earlier this week, I had a dream. It went something like this:

Bella: "Heath! Thanks for sharing the new Arctic Monkeys' album with me! That band is totally A.C."

Me: "You're welcome! Ummm...what's A.C.?" (Because even in my dreams, I am not hip to youth culture...)

Bella: "Automatically Cool! I always have to remind my friends how cool this band is."

Me (seriously): "Bella, if you have to remind your friends how cool the Arctic Monkeys are, then you need to get better friends!"

:End dream:

So...obviously this week's song must be an Arctic Monkeys' song. And, yes, I subconsciously made up a new catch phrase (A.C.), which you better believe I will try to incorporate into my hip vocabulary from now on.

The Arctic Monkeys and Me: A Love Story


My love for Arctic Monkeys started sometime in the Summer of 2007. The band had been around for a few years, but it wasn't until I heard their song, "Fluorescent Adolescent" that I took notice. Their sound is reminiscent of familiar bands, such as The Strokes and even the Fratellis, with an Indie Rock vibe and English garage band undertones. Since 2007, their songs have dominated much of my iTunes and, if I've ever made you a mixed CD, there is a 90% chance I've included one of their songs. Needless to say, with such a broad cache of songs, it was difficult to choose just one song to share this week.

"Fluorescent Adolescent"


Of course, it had to be this song! Not only is this my favorite Arctic Monkeys' song, but it quickly became one of my favorite songs of all time. While the song's message is the exact opposite of how I feel (it's about getting older and finding out that life isn't as fun as it used to be), there's something about this song that just sticks with me. Maybe it's the drum and guitar riffs, perhaps it's the ballad-like structure...whatever it is, it's not a surprise that this song is one of this band's most popular songs. In other words, totally A.C. :)





A Warning: Do not watch the real music video for this song...even though it is directed by the brilliant Richard Ayoade, it features killer clowns. Enough said. The video above does not, so you are safe. You're welcome.

Runners-up: "The Bakery" ~ "Mardy Bum" ~ "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor"

No comments:

Post a Comment