Friday, January 23, 2015

My Passion Project!

Before leaving for this RTW trip, I had grand intentions to do a Passion Project. My Passion Project was going to be about the music of every country we travelled through. I planned to research the popular and cultural types of music, seek out venues where I could listen to said music, and create a musical "album" for each country...quite the endeavor, I know.

Well, you know what they say about "best intentions"...

The Passion Project that I had imagined myself doing is not going to happen. Several factors contribute to the failure of this project:
  1. Time: There's just not enough of it! After four months of travel, I can say with confidence and evidence, that there is just not enough time to research and experience the musical cultures of each city we visit. There have been times where we are only a few days in each city, so the time we spend there is very much designated for typical "tourist-y" things, most of which do not include visiting multiple venues and immersing myself in its musical culture.
  2. Other projects: Ah, yes...if working on this Passion Project was the only thing that I was doing, I could probably make it work. However, over the past four months, most of my time has been spent creating content for my vlogs. What vlogs, you say? I know! I am working on them! LOL But this goes back to the "time" issue...
While working on my vlogs, I started realizing how much of my spare time I was spending on this project - recording, uploading, sorting, editing, transferring over to my external hard drive because my computer is being a jackass. Needless to say, my focus changed. It was already hard enough finding time to create blogs and vlogs, there was absolutely NO WAY I could add another project to my schedule. In a sense, my blog and vlogs became my Passion Project.

However, I didn't want to just throw away my Music Passion Project. Music is something that moves me. And, yes, that is super cheesy, but I don't care, that's how I feel. Because of this, I still wanted to do SOMETHING music related on this trip.

Thus, this Passion Project evolved.

Here's the plan:

  • Each week, preferably on Friday (but with sometimes-limited Wifi, I will commit to hopefully sometime during Friday-Sunday), I will post one song on my blog. The objective is that the song will be relevant to the previous week, whether it is a song from the region that I am staying in or a song that I've been listening to almost non-stop all week. Whatever the case may be, I will write a little blurb about why I chose that song.
  • This project is basically about music and feelings, let's be honest.
I'm really excited to get this music project started. I realize that it's adding one more thing to my list of things that I am already spectacularly behind on, but I'm hoping that it will spark my creativity and, in the process, expose you to music that you might not be familiar with.

So, stay tuned! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment